
I think I found my all time favorite DVD set from the Teaching Company.
I perused my library's collection and found this.
It is called From Monet to Van Gogh: A History of Impressionism.
I must admit the professor looked a bit boring when I first began to watch. But he is so passionate and knowledgeable about the subject that I was soon hooked. He uses lots of pictures, of course and I was enthralled.
We have done art study over the years, ala Cm and I am so glad I did as I felt many of the paintings were old friends. We had done some short bios, too, of the painters, just dabbling. But now with this indepth analysis-- of the painting, the painters, the times-- socially, politcally-- it was so neat!
I loved how he would discect a picture. I never really appreciated that before, but this time it was so intriguing. I found myself often wondering if the artist would agree with his analysis or just say "I just painted a picture! Lay off!" lol
But I got to where when he put up a new picture I would hit pause and look at it myself and guess what he might say. That is really what I used to do with art study when the boys were little per CM. Let them look before you ever say a thing. Let them form their own connection with the painting. It is true for adults, too.
I really see how the idea of nibbling a bit here and there at a subject, then coming back to it later on (as we have with trips to museums, etc).. and then when one is ready really delving in.. makes sense. Who said that? Cm? Others? Probably just about everybody.
The only problem is when I order from the library they can't control what part I get. So, I have watched Part 2. So I still get to watch Part 1. Yippee! I talked to the librarian today and she said I just have to call her everytime I want to order them so I get the parts in order.
I highly recommend this if you have it available. Note- there are some nudes presented so if you have dc with you, you may want to preview. But actually watching this, and seeing his commentary I see how the nude is very important in art, or at least to some artists and genres.
This is something that qualifies for making my heart sing. It must as I watched 12 lectures in 2 days.... where does all my time go? lol
No comments:
Post a Comment