
Do you have about 2 hours? Then you must pick up this book.
It is 134 pages and the type is big and the pages are small. It reads like a fable, and gives great depth in few words. Much like its characters, the Superiour Mutter and Homer Price (not the children's book Homer---) but a black man just out of the Army in the early 60's.
It is written by William Barett- I think this is one book it is worth having on the shelf for when people are ready to pick it up. And you can surely get it cheap at a used book store in the classics aisle. I read this aloud to my boys when they were about 9 and 12. They really enjoyed it.
Anyway, these two characters (with the other 4 nuns Mother lives with) meet in the desert near the Colorado Rockies. She wants a chapel built. He has the brawn and the conscience. They both have strong wills. Neither liked to be told what to do! On the story goes!
We also saw the movie, with Sydney Portier. This is one movie that cast the character just how I thought he looked in the book.
I am going to suggest it to my boys again. It really is lovely- and has the bite and depth of real people- the latinos who live in the poverty-stricken area, the strong German Mutter with her uncompromising tudor personality, the sweet nuns under her tutilage... and Homer, who is a black man in a white country, with a good heart but a stubborn streak.
I loved the part when he first met the tough Mutter Superior and thought she gave him a hard time, liked her. She didn't see his color. Just knew God sent him to build her church.
Read it on a lazy summer day.. out loud to the kids is even better!
4 comments:
I loved this book and the movie :-) Thanks for reminding me of it again. The dc love singing amen just the way Sidney Portier does in the movie :-) When I here the Mother Superior talking, I can close my eyes and hear my Oma....
I remember this movie - but haven't read the book! Thanks for the tip..
Beate-
I can just imagine your kids singing Amen! :)
Oh, I bet she sounded like your Oma. My grandmother was German, too, but came over when she was 2. She lost a lot of her accent, but had that strong Tutor personality... and a bit of German would come out now and then.
Yes, I loved the movie, too.
Leonie-
I think you will like the book. I almost finished it last night. :)
I just came across the soundtrack for this movie the other night when we were looking for things for Travis to play on the guitar ;-). I think I'll go play it right now! Amen....Aaaaamen.....
Post a Comment