Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Learning (What?) Through Video Games

I have come to know that a lot can be learned through video games, both skills and content, and they can be a platform for discussion.

Ah, but as with every medium, just what can they teach? Just about anything. Global warming is a topic of interest around these parts, mostly from the point of view of discerning what is 'junk science' and PC fodder and what is not. How do we tell? Who is saying what, and can we discern their real reasons for saying it?

This article is (another) eye opener to me. It is just another extension of the media and how it is being weilded to try and teach (brainwash) the masses. Who would think while watching a funny TV show, reading a benign article in the paper or playing a video game that someone would be trying to 'shape' our thought?

I don't mind if some people think global warming is a threat, but please, don't try and sneak in your ideology disquised as fun for kids, and don't use it as a political springboard! Please Microsoft, make games and computer, don't try and make social change. But, Mr. Gates has all the billions to spend and he wants to make a 'difference'.

I think we are in a Brave New World. I try and talk about this with the boys, to keep them aware of the agendas out there. I hope we can raise an aware generation, but it is amazing the influence the media plays.

5 comments:

Marie said...

Hi Cindy,

I'd be interested in seeing some of your resources you (collectively) have come across in your discernment of this.

I have not researched, but I do see a trend: people I otherwise respect downplay at least any of the popular "scary" versions of global warming, and others whom I either already find questionable, or impressionable, feel that it is the single most important issue facing human beings today.

Given the modern penchant for thinking the only important developments in all of human history happened within the last 30-40 years, it leads me to think it must be a crock.

Cindy said...

Hi Marie-

I have not officially researached it, but watched the news, read articles and just generally paid attention to the national (and international discourse).

I see the same trend you do: that media and media controllers have duped the American people in so many ways over the years, that I will not take any 'news reports' at face value.

I have seen propganda seep through in so many areas. Propoganda has always existed, but I think today the media has such a omnipresent control over every aspect of a country who is in love with all things media. And people can't or won't discern.

So when I see a politician use Global Warming as a sort of religion, I get wary. I have seen otherwise very intelligent people fall hook line and sinker for man of the agendas out there, so why should global warming be different when there is so much at stake? Such as who is is power, and the ability to change social structure based on fear.

It could be true. But I am not a scientist. I know enough about scientific inquiry to know that it is not perfect. And something as large as global warming- do we have the tools to measure? Antedotal evidence won't cut it, but the media thrives on that.

Case in point- I will hear of a scientific report that DEBUNKS it, but major media does not cover it. Until I find a trustworthy source that has no agenda, I won't belive it is true.

I see shades of past cultures here- where scare tactics were used to get the masses into a 'group think', and where if a lie was told over and over and over and over, soon people thought it was true.

I care about our environment. God gave the earth to man as his dominion to use and care for. But before we can we have to clear away the voices and understand what the needs are and I'm not sure that is possible in today's culture.

Whew! Got that off my chest.. sorry you asked? ;)

Marie said...

No! And I feel the same way about network news.

I agree that the real scary thing is how mind-control does subtly work in this "advanced culture". I see it in extended family members -- those who otherwise would not be touting liberal rhetoric line their "feelings" up accordingly, just because it is what they hear repeated so much (so therefore it must be true!). Thinking, unfortunately, is no longer a valued skill in society. And it is scary when you consider what has happened in other societies that have fallen prey to mind-control...

Anonymous said...

I agree that the media has a hidden agenda and it makes me furious. The alternative family, the animals are good, people are bad, etc... That said, I also find it appalling that a good many people I otherwise respect, don't think we have an obligation to the environment. Back in the early 80's I was in Germany and saw the effect of pollution on the trees - it was very obvious and very devastating. After stringent policies were implemented, the trees slowly started to recover. Thermal trends are normal - as are the shifts in severity of hurricanes and other storms. That doesn't mean we shouldn't treat our world with more respect. Even our breastmilk is contaminated these days :-( Moreover, environmental estrogens are wreaking havoc on all kinds of things. While I don't want the kids to worry about the world ending, I do want them to be good stewards of the world we've been given.

Anonymous said...

Oops - I'm re-reading and wanted to say I wasn't saying you two don't care about the environment!!! That didn't come out right =0!!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Blog Archive

Labels

Labels