Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Weekend Back to the Future

Speaking of my last post (Life After Kids) and the changes life bring us...

I am preparing for a little mini-vacation/girls weekend with two old friends I have known for years.

GE is a friend I have had since I was nine.

CA is a friend that GE and I met in college and we were a tight trio all through those days. We were in each other's weddings. We always said we would be friends.. forever and ever. :) We planned to take a vacation together every year for the rest of our lives.

We made it to Cancun once, in 1991. Oh well, once is better than nothing. And we have visited each other's homes a few times.

GE lives on the other side of this big city, so we keep up well. CA lives in another state, so we see each other maybe once every 5 years.

That said, I am doing laundry, packing, juggling schedules, (dh is leaving town on one day before I return, so getting all that straight..) and making some food for my two bottomless-pits of sons. I thought I would post this as I wait for my capri pants to dry....

I am thinking about how much my life has changed since we all shared our college daze. The paths we have taken. The families we all have. I wonder if we will have as much in common, or how (especially my far away friend) has fared, as her youngest just left for college last week.

I relized that God has each of us on a path. These paths do not cross by chance. Every intersection is a chance to be a servant. And laugh and play and enjoy who he puts in our path.

So, just a few reflections. Back in college we would sit in our little house and talk and talk. I can remember us specifically talking one time about how one day we would all be 40. 40!!? We could not imagine, but we tried.

Now we are all almost 50...:0

And we would be married, we would have careers and we would have kids. Well, we all do, and though my career was supplanted, we all did ok. We have all been married just one time and have strong marriages. We all are healthy, relatively. And we all are proud of our kids.

So off to the past.. and the future! Funny thing is none of us look gray. How could that be?

It should be a fun weekend..... talk to you Sunday!

4 comments:

Leonie said...

Hope you have a good time!

I think it sounds lovely to catch uo with old friends and see where life has taken you all....

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it will be so much fun! What a treasure to still have friendships from your childhood and college years...

Have a WONDERFUL time!

Anonymous said...

Have a good weekend!!

K said...

I pray you have a wonderful time! Call me when you get home, well, ok, you can unpack first!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Blog Archive

Labels

Labels