Monday, June 11, 2007

Mosaic Creations


I am excited about starting making mosaics. I have always seen them and thought 'I could do that', but of course never did. :0

This is cool too, because half the fun, they say, is finding the treasures. What treasure? Ceramics and china that you aquire then smash into shards and arrange on pots, stepping stone, bird houses (anything that doesn't move as one crafter friend said), put mortor on it, let dry and you have a creation.

I went to Half Price Books today and found a great step by step book on how to do this. And at Goodwill I found some neat dishes. Goodwill is still a little steep, more than garage sales, so I will have to keep hitting those. But that is fun to do, too... we have lots in our areas, especailly on Thursdays. So I will have to make sure I get out early on those days.

Biggest challenge now-- where to work. It is messy. When you smash the plates fragments can get in the carpet. Also mortor is dusty. The garage is best, but it is really hot and humid now. Maybe I could clear a space and work early mornings? I really need shelving and bins to put the materials though.. this does require some space. Well, that will come! No perfectionsim gonna happen here...

Oh, this is great for kids, too.. but make sure little ones don't do the smashing and that the edges are not sharp. Lots of ideas online for that.

I took some pictures of my finds so far. Hopefully I will soon be able to post these as they are transformed into my works of art. ;-)


No comments:

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Blog Archive

Labels

Labels