
Anyone going to watch the democrats duke it out tonight on CNN?
Click here for details.
I watched the republicans debate with the boys last month and it generated quite a bit of discussion. I asked B (13) if he was going to watch the dems tonight. He didn't think so.
Why?
"Well, if there is one I think I would vote for, I might, but there isn't so I wont."
I told him he can't just go by what I say, maybe I am wrong and there is a candidate out there he needs to know about.
"Well, if any are for the issues in the Catholic Voter's Guide non-negotiable list, I will consider it. Let me know if there are. Otherwise I have other things to do and may or may not watch."
Well, he is right. Though I still think it is a good way to learn about the candidate, what makes them tick, how CNN presents the debate (always good for Media Analysis credits...) and how they can 'support' their positions.
By the way, we had trouble finding many republicans who met the non-negotiables list, either. Here it is if you are interested:
Catholic Voter Guide
I ordered a bunch of really nice pamplet guides from Lighthouse and displayed them at my parish. If anyone wants some for your parish, let me know and I will order them next time I otder. They are $13.50 per 50.
Well, I bet the boys watch a bit of the debate tonight... just out of curiousity! We enjoy seeing the people, then googling them to see what they say they believe. Sometimes that is a bit hard to nail down... part of the fun!
**UPDATE**
Ok. Marie, you and Bryan were right. This was a real bust.
They had nothing to say. Mrs. Clinton couldn't seem to answer any question constructivly, but just critisize and often rather personally, the current administration.
None of the candidates seem to have any 'weight' to them. Joe Biden got mad and started yelling once to make a point.. guess he thought he was on Hardball.
Gov Richardson kept trying to get a word in, but couldn't seem to.
Wolf Blitzer who moderated kept losing control and for some reason kept trying to get the candidate to all 'raise their hands' if they agreed with a statement. It made them look like schoolchildren, and Mrs. C got snippy about it.
The most professional one there, who was the best spoken and seemed to have the most substance was Obama. And I thought he would be the lightweight. Of course I agree with few of his positions.
Oh well.
I agree it is very early, but I enjoyed the republican debate because it introduced me to some players I had not know about before, in particular Brownback from Kansas who is Catholic and I think has a prolife position all the way. Plus I really wanted to hear Rudy try and explain his pro-death abortion stance.
Ok.. no more politics for while.
After 20 minutes I switched to TCM and The Wizard of Oz was on! It was much more poignant and relevant to my life. :)
"If I only had a brain....!" I love that song!
2 comments:
Hi Cindy,
I recall that voter guide from the last election. Our parish distributed them, and it was discussed on another Catholic list I belong to, and the fur flew. Which is sad, I think.
We have been a debate-watching household for as long as I've been married, but I sat out the last Republican one, and will sit this one out as well. (It helps that the only TV channel we get is the local NBC affiliate.) Usually, due to my dh's intense following of all things political, I'm advocating for Canada's type of electoral system, where an election can be called and then held within a matter of several weeks or a few months, instead of two years of debates, campaigns, commericals, phone calls, leaflets.... AH! the blood pressure rises as I think about it!
But of course all good for discussion.
Sounds to me like B is a practical type. I like that :)
It was very interesting to me, to rea the thoughts on your election. Politics is different here and politics is an interest of mine.
:-)
Post a Comment