Thursday, November 02, 2006

10 Random Facts


I was tagged by
Maria.

Here goes:

1) I am originally a redhead. My brother (sweet thing he was) used to torment me by calling me Carrot Top. I always joked that my friends always loved sitting next to me at the lake because my white skin made anyone look tan!

2) I love economics. In college I changed my major 4 times and took econ classes as electives because I liked them and ended up with a degree in it. (useful, eh?) I just loved the charts, graphs and how emotion and logic combined to make this giant system work. So cool!

3) 10 years ago today I was actively trying to talk my dh out of the Catholic Church.
Since then I converted and am now working with parishes to help catechise and evangelize. God is good. :)

4) I am not really good at anything, but kind of good at lots of things. I am sort of good at sports, art, speaking, writing and enjoy them all. But am not really good at any of them. (no I am not fishing for complements, so don't dare comment on this.. lol.. it is just a reality I have always seen in my life.) Funny because when I went to college my goal was to 'be the best at something, I don't care what.' Humm.. now I see, especially with the beauty of the spirituality of the Church that I was living in the eras of the 80s.. and God likes me just as I am!

5) I love dogs. Always have. When I was little I cut out pictures of dogs from magazines and taped them in a montage all over my walls. My family loves dogs, too.. so we have fun.

6) I took flying lessons when I was 16. Just enough sky time and ground school to land the private plan if my dad (who was a private pilot) was unable to due to emergency. Then when I graduated high school my parents offered as a graduation gift either to pay for me to complete my pilots licence or go to Europe. Let's just say my friend and I had a blast flirting with the handsome French men we met in Munich at the Hofbrau House! Oui!

7) I am competitive in sports and LOVE a good brisk game of tennis, racquetball, or even pushing myself when running (as I used to do before my joints got old) or aerobics. Yesterday I felt strong, so went in the back corner of the studio so others could not see me (I am not competing against them) and pushed myself in my workout. It felt great!

8) I love sitting outside on a porch during a rainstorm. One of my favorite memories is on my friend's farm as a child, in the barn loft.. it begins to rain and the tin roof is loud... and the smell of the hay, the barn cats all around.. the soft scent of manure from below and the sheep rustling. Ah.. nice memory.

9)I once won a car. Yes, now you have met someone who actually won one of those raffles!

10) I used to be an ambitious career woman who never even planned on kids, much less staying home, much LESS homeschooling. God is good!

I tag:Karen, Willa and Faith!

8 comments:

Leonie said...

Wow - I didn't know you were a rehead. My hair is, in its natural form, auburn. I always have known you as a blonde. :-)

BTW, I am not good at anything in particular. So ikwym. I often say I am good at talking! lol! My only talent - I talk.

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Interesting tidbits, Miss Cindy!

You're the second person I know who has won a car. How did you do it?

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Love the whole pilot thing, too! I'll have my oldest read this tomorrow. Very cool!

Cindy said...

Yes, Leonie.. I was always a redhead. Then as grey creeped in I began to highlight.. and kept highlihting so much it looked blonde! People would refer to me as that blonde woman... who me?

Guess what... on Tuesday I went to my hairdresser and went back to my original color! I saw my old friend (I have know since girlhood) and she said.. "Cindy, you look like YOU again!" lol

I feel like me again too. Will try and get a picture up. :)

Cindy said...

Hi Maria-

When I worked, they took a car out of the pool of cars the VPs used, donated and raffled it off with proceeds to United Way. (Corporations really pushed UW donations.. :/ )

Well, they drew my name! It was a Buick Centry and the worst car I ever owned.. kept breaking down.. so I sold it.

So, my exciting story. But, it was fun winning!

Yes, the piloting was fun, but I didn't have the 'fever'. Every pilot I know has this bug to FLY. For me it was take or leave. So I left and went to Europe instead! lol

Thanks for your comments!

Leonie said...

Oh, can't wait to see a new pic!

Cindy said...

I'll see if the boys will snap one of me... or at least I know at Thanksgiving when my mil visits there will be pictures taken. :)
(Leonie, US Thanksgiving is the 4th Thursday in nov- which you probably have heard of by now!)

Leonie said...

Blog about Thanksgiving - I am always fascinated by the holidays of other places...And your pic. :-)

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels