Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Natural Learning and Self Study- Civil War

I didn't care a whit about history growing up- or even into my adult life.

As I began homeschooling the boys 10 years ago I slowly began to like history. Mostly from the historical fiction books we would read. Then as I started to get a world view of history I saw for the first time how it all fit together. How God was involved in it all. It was a revelation of sorts when I finally understood some about the Greek and Roman worlds, Christ, then the middle ages, reformation, role of the Church, etc. All fascinating.

But, I never really got *into* it, like a hobby or mini-obsession, but I think I am on the verge now with the US Civil War.

It started withThe Civil War- a Film by Ken Burns

It is an excellent DVD set. Since I have read and am re-reading The Killer Angels by Michael Sharra.
It is about the Battle of Gettysburg, the turning point of the war.

I am actually listening to it on tape. Gen George Schwarzkopf proclaimed this the best war novel he has ever read. Sharra brings these people to life. I am sure he had to take some artistic license (to write about what Lee was thinking as he stepped out of his tent), but he did a wonderful job.

I listened to it the first time and could not get a grip on the logistics, the geography, the battles and the importance of certain events. So the second time around, I found a book at the libraryGreat Battles of the Civil War by John MacDonald.

As I listened to Killer Angels the second time around, I referenced the few maps in that book as well as the Great Battles book. In the GB, I saw pictures of the key players described, as well as computer generated pictures of the Gettysburg battles and tactics.

I never thought I would be interested in the Civil War. It has so much depth, battles are just one facet. There are the people, the struggles, the personalities, the economics and politics- so much.

I am seeing what a true self-study is. I think my boys are seeing me take it on, too, and it frees them up to do the same with this subject or others. I believe more and more that a big part in a learning environment is to model, and not just for show sake, but to become passionate about something I truly am interested in and let the house (or whatever else) go for a while. I truly think one of my jobs is to learn myself if I want the boys to value learning.

In the meantime my dh has been talking history to my deaf ears for 20 years. Imagine how surprised he is to keep finding me with new videos and books on the Civil War.. lol

Tonight I watched a 30 minute video about the war and realized that in the past month of so of study I had learned 80% of what was in that video. It was a general overview of key points and events only, but I was familiar with them. Honestly, as the narrator would begin to speak on the next site highlighted on the map, I knew what he was going to say! And I would have had no idea in October. Too cool! I love learning and I think often I didn't value it enough for me, mom. :)
Too busy schoolin' those kids!

Now off to bed to curl up with my audio book and big book 'o maps.

1 comment:

Leonie said...

I love hearing about your history study - history has always been a love of mine. Thanks for the resources - and for the reminder of the importance of self learning and interest ( aka natural learning. :-) ).

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels