Saturday, November 04, 2006

Preparing for the Holidays

It is funny how just a little bit of awareness and mindset can set things off right. :)

I have been thinking the past month how I want to be ready for and savor the special days to come. Often Thanksgiving sneaks up on me, and then just as we put away the last dish Advent is on its heels and I have not even found the candles for the wreath. Then during Advent, I have to think about the shopping I have to do for Christmas, and though we are getting much better at savoring it, it can easily feel out of kilter.

Anyway, I have been thinking just a tiny bit ahead. Reading at my leisure some books on Catholic feast days and traditions. Doing little things.

Last week we made Souls Cakes for All Souls Day. And read a bit about All Saints Day.

Also last week I somehow ended up with the job of figuring out how my extended family was going to converge for Christmas. This year we are meeting at my parents' house. After talking to all parties seperately we actually found a plan that works for us all. We all live in different cities.

Thanksgiving is different this year, as that is usually when my side of the family gets together. But this year, my mil is flying in from across country to see us. So Thanksgiving dinner will be at our house for the first time in many years.

Today as I was out shopping for a birthday present for my husband, I came across some nice sales of fall/Thanksgiving things. I am not much of a shopper, so when I find something, like the price, like the item and it feels right, I know it is time to buy.

I got some pretty decorations to make my house feel fallish. I love fall. Last week I found a great deal on some Thanksgiving figurenes. My collection of decorations has aged and I never had a lot of Thanksgiving things. I remember my grandmother had the cutest little figurenes of pilgrims and Indians and I played with them whenver I went to her house for that holiday.

So I bought 4 couples- 3 versions of a pilgrim husband and wife and one of an Indian man and woman who are coming to the feast. I have them out on my coffee table now, next to a big straw pumpkin. It looks so festive.

Today I also found tableclothes- one a rich gold for Thanksgiving and one a red/burgandy for the next Christmas meal we have.

I am feeling festive, and like the idea of planning ahead.

I feel like we are preparing. This is good for me. Often I try not to make too big a deal out of material things, but then find we are not festive. Festive is good! Festive is memories!

More on our Thanksgiving soon...

1 comment:

Leonie said...

Thank you for sharing a bit about Thanksgiving. Do you have a standard menu for the meal or do you vary each year?

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels