
Last night I felt called to take down from my bookshelf The Hidden Power of Kindness by Fr. Lawrence Lovasik.
Many of you know of this book, and it is a true treasure. I had read portions of it in years past, but felt I needed to delve back in.
In many areas of my life lately, I have been plagued by a critical spirit.
So, I opened the covers and began searching through. I thought I would share some of his wisdom here.
"This self-mastery means slience in moments of provocation and postponment of action when you are emotionally upset."
"...it is never hypocrisy to hide one's baser emotions."
"Let your correction spring from love, never from irritation. People often rebuke others not because of a wrong done but because of annoyance."
and finally....
"When you are not engaged in thinking about some definite problem, you usually spend about ninety-give percen of your time thinking about yourself. Stop thinking of all your accomplishments, your wants. If you stop thinking about yourself for a while and begin to think of another person's good points, you will not have to resort to cheap and false flattery that can be spotted at once."
This book is wonderful, and I think I need to go spend more time with it. I want this to sink in and become part of me. Perhaps taking time to pray over the words.
Any thoughts on how to study such material and make it a part of one's spirituality and reality?
(just a small question for early in the morning!)
Many of you know of this book, and it is a true treasure. I had read portions of it in years past, but felt I needed to delve back in.
In many areas of my life lately, I have been plagued by a critical spirit.
So, I opened the covers and began searching through. I thought I would share some of his wisdom here.
"This self-mastery means slience in moments of provocation and postponment of action when you are emotionally upset."
"...it is never hypocrisy to hide one's baser emotions."
"Let your correction spring from love, never from irritation. People often rebuke others not because of a wrong done but because of annoyance."
and finally....
"When you are not engaged in thinking about some definite problem, you usually spend about ninety-give percen of your time thinking about yourself. Stop thinking of all your accomplishments, your wants. If you stop thinking about yourself for a while and begin to think of another person's good points, you will not have to resort to cheap and false flattery that can be spotted at once."
This book is wonderful, and I think I need to go spend more time with it. I want this to sink in and become part of me. Perhaps taking time to pray over the words.
Any thoughts on how to study such material and make it a part of one's spirituality and reality?
(just a small question for early in the morning!)
2 comments:
Cindy,
This is a wonderful post and so timely for me!
I love the quotes. I guess it's time for me to revisit this book.
Cindy, thank you for sharing the quotes. This book is one I guess I should own, huh?
I have my reading time in the early bmorning and sometimes taking notes or journaling or highlighting sections helps parts stick.
But who I am to talk? I am working on humility. :-)
Post a Comment