


Yesterday we had another LOTR discussion group meeting and the conversation got to the book vs the movie. Again. This topic comes up often. The boys and I just watched The Two Towers. My boys have read the books and are watching the movies slowly. The movie really changed up the story. Not only did it move things around (which was ok in my two crtics' minds) but it added things.. added scenes, changed the characters and their personalities and what they represented. Many in the group thought it was too much.
How much should a movie producer be able to change from a book?
Would JRRT approve?
Why did Peter Jackson make these movies? Before this he was primarily known for Humor Horror! (I didn't know that)
Why did he make so many changes? To sell the movie mainstream?
Margaret Mitchell of Gone With the Wind happily sold out to Hollywood and didn't look back. That was in 1936. Would JRRT have done the same? (He lived in same time period.)
The discussion went on, with many viewpoints.
Finally I said, pointing to two empty chairs around the table- "This may sound silly, but I wish that Mr. Tolkein and Mr. Jackson could just sit here with us and hash it out. If only we could hear their opinions."
Everyone looked at me like I was a bit daft. But I still wish it.
2 comments:
Tolkien was unequivably pro-life...I'd like to think he would have dressed Jackson down for talking out a beautiful pro-life scene and inserting a pro-euthanasia scene instead! I know there were many other liberties, but that one really got to me :-/
A coincidence - we began watching The Two Towers last night.Again. We will have to spread it out over several nights though - its the extended version.
Personally, I like the the movies. I like seeing Jackson's interprtation and the way things are changed ( should be changed?) to suit the medium - from book to movie.
Post a Comment