
I was getting ready to graduate from high school in a couple of weeks and finding some time, no doubt, to go see the big new blockbuster-to-be: Star Wars!
Well, today we got to re-enact that!
A local homeschool mom called
Alamo Drafthouse and Theater and set up the movie. She then collected money from some 70+ homeschoolers, brought her son's DVD in and they played it for us in full feature format!
On top of that, we had waiters, yes waiters who would bring us our hearts's desires from the Alamo menu all during the movie, wearing black and ducking the screen.
Ok. Did you go to the original showing of Star Wars? Do you remember when the words came scrolling across and the audience cheered? Well, today, we had a whole bunch of moms, dads and kids cheering today... it was like deja vu! So fun.

The boys had long wanted to see this, as it was the 'original' I am told by them. When released on DVD it was cleaned and polished, added to and enhanced, a bit.
We saw the raw. And having seen some documentaries on Star Wars, and living with my two sons who have seen the documentaries multiple times and are very in awe of George Lucus' work, it was a real treat.

About 10 minutes into it, I was having a hard time engaging. The special effects were, shall I say, less than special.

I leaned over to S and asked him if he liked it- was it hokey? He said, "Mom, this is the original STAR WARS!"
Oh.
And it was good. Knowing the history I do about George Lucus and how he pulled this first movie (episode 4) off on a shoestring, it was good. And I must admit, I got into it. Well, I did take a bathroom break and ended up talking to a good friend I never see who had a new baby who is now 13 months and we talked for 10 minutes in the lobby... but I did get into it.
The last scene where Luke blows up the Death Star (sorry for the spoiler, any neophites out there), had me on the edge of my seat.
Awesome!
What a fun day. And now I want to go watch the documentaires again and see how George made the magic happen. It really was magic back then with little budget and no respect.
I always like George Lucas because I heard his mom let him skip school to make movies. That warms my heart. :)
I must admit, my favorite character was Han. And he was as onrey as ever. :)
2 comments:
fff
How fun! I didn't see my first Star Wars until 1978. But I always liked Han and also the toughness and smart alec comments of Princess Leia. :-)
Post a Comment