Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Driver's Ed (or- SEE-ing Learning -Part I)


Ok, this may seem obvious to many of you.

But part of this blog is to *see* learning. See the growth in my dds. (that's Darling, DARLING sons, not my dentist.. lol). I want to learn to really see it, as a normal part of my day, course of life, integrated with parenting on a daily basis.

I love it when I hear other moms tell of things they see- learning they see in their dc. I hope this sharing helps others see. Please comment, too on times you see the learning. Or I love would you to point me to links, posts, etc along this line of thought.

So I am going to post small moments. Yes, I could post my bad moments, too. But thank goodness they are less and less. If it helps I will. But don't want to put bad stuff about my sweet boys on line, so if you email me privately, I *may*. lol But think I will stick to the good stuff.

Ok. Today.

Picture it.

I have a hesitant thoughtful son. Obviously curriculum never suited him. He is smart, but takes things at his own pace. Sensitive.

Me, I am a bit sensitive but I am a do-er. Type A mostly. Git 'er done could be on my bumper.

So, I have read a lot of great stuff on temperments and personalities this past year +. I have heard, and brought into my heart, to let him be who he is. What I may see as 'flounder' could be his way to process. So I did. This was not easy, but I did.

I have seen blossoming in many areas. Here is just one.

Ds started a driver's ed course. I let him pick it. We tried to do the state course, which was bascially free, but full of dumb paperwork and indecipherable forms and if it was hard for me I knew it was lightyears from his learning style.

So, he researched and chose a CD version of one he liked.

He has rarely done curriclum, especially the past 4 years or so. This is very basic curriculum, getting facts in his head.

He took it on. Slowly, at his pace. He is not chomping to drive, but this Thanksgivine we have 2 dog-sits over 6 days to local unbusy street destinations that has given him a goal. To have his learner's permit by Thanksgiving so he can do the driving.

He is working on his own. Slowly. The first module is the boring stuff. I asked him how he is doing. "Ok. Boring, but I can do this." says he.

He moved onto the next modules and would ask me questions, then pace himself.

I am finding that this works. It is true. If you let a child follow their own learning style, (BE THERE to help when it is needed, give support, buy materials, etc) they end up charting their course and finding their way.

I will drop in, if I see he has a question. We will look over the ton of detailed facts at the beginning and decide what is important, what can be sluffed off. We worked out something he didn't understand (which was not explained well by the program) and after I said "Do you see the main point here?"

Yes, he nodded. So he is learning not only the data, but how to work through an imperfect curriculum. I can just picture him in a college course one day doing the same. Lots 'o learning going on here...

This is not hands off. It is more like 'claws' off... lol... let them find their way, but be there to guide and assist, not push.

So, my son is following a self-choesn curriclum. This question came up on my UC list... And I think yes, curriculum can be very helpful with the conditions are right.

One small moment that took 200 words to type. Oh well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He must be so happy to learn this way. I like the term "claws off"!

Cindy said...

Yup! Life is so much nicer with the claws retracted... lol

Lorna said...

What I love is that it's his goal, his motivation, his pace, his decision to learn what he needs to achieve his goal.
Life Learning in action.
Just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Kids are so different. I haven't had to do one thing about driver's ed. My dd was so motivated to drive she took care of everything herself. Including making sure she had a copy of her birth certificate, etc. She found out what homeschoolers have to do in our state, studied for the test totally on her own. Her dad happened to be the one who took to DMV to take it. He takes her out driving too. It has been nice not to have to handle that particular issue.

But with my 14 yo son, I can tell things are going to be different. I bet it will be much more similar to your son, Cindy.

Leonie said...

Intereting to see how he approaches learning - I know I learn better by reading by myself while others of mine are auditory learners or hands on learners.

Great moment to see learning. :-)

Cindy said...

Cool Faith.. neat to see your dd take it on her own. Bet my 13 yos would be like that, too.. he is very much a do-er!

Leonie- thanks for the comment. It has taken me a while to see that my ds may learn differently than me. :0

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels