Monday, November 06, 2006

Our Thanksgiving Menu

This year we get to make Thanksgiving dinner at home.

We have always enjoyed the traditional dinner at my mom's house in years past. She is basic midwestern, or should I say Oklahoma cookin'. Let's see, from my memory, this is what she had last year:

Turkey (smoked from local smoker-excellent!)
Stuffing
Mashed potatos
Gravy
Brocolli cassarole (from my sil)
Relish dish
Corn cassarole
Cranberry sauce (made by moi)
Rolls
Green Bean cassarole

Desserts:
Pecan pie (made my my dh)
Pumpkin pie (make by me.. last year Boomer knocked it off the table and ate half of it)
Banana pudding
Chocolate torte

Wine
Tea
Water

That is a lot of food.. and my mother (in her 70s) would start cooking a couple of days before we all arrived!

This year, it will be small.. just my family (4) and my mil. Though we are going to invite our preist, Fr. John. That should be very interesting, as he is from India. My mil talks a lot but can't hear, and Fr. John doesn't talk a lot but is hard to understand. Whew! Should be fun!

My dh never liked turkey (he is my gourmet, so I don't argue)--- but after the past few years of this smoked turkey at my parents' he is a convert. So this year he is going to smoke on on his
Big Green Egg. I usually just do the basic sides.. stuffing, cranberries and green beans (fresh, not cassarole) but my boys have talked about how they LOVE Grandma's dinner so much.. all the choices and the cassaroles.. that I think I will take my mom's cue and cook a couple of days before hand.

So, as the menu gels (no jello intended) I will post!

More later....

1 comment:

Leonie said...

Whew! I am in awe over your mother's menu - so much food and so much cooking!

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels