Monday, November 06, 2006

Ronald Reagan

With the election coming tomorrow and our minds on politics, I visited Brainy Quotes today and found these by Ronald Reagan. I do miss him. He was such a great leader and had humility vision and a sense of humor. With RR you knw what you were getting and he usually could give you a smile along they way.

Having studied government and economic policy, I felt especially that RR understood the best way for people to better themselves was for goverment to get out of the way and let them work and grow. :) He knew that the human beings flourish if they are given the chance to learn and work and build their lives themselves. He knew that government's role was to have a safety net, but to clear the way for small businesses and employers to grow and give jobs to people so they could then build their families.

With an environment like this in America, we became the nation we are, giving us the opportunies that we and our children enjoy today. But this comes at a cost.

Sometimes the omnipresent media can make us feel ashamed that we live in a safe free, country. But that freedom is a gift, a gift from God. And it is easy to forget that we had to work for it, often on the blood of our veterans.

With all its faults, America is still a great country. And Ronald Reagan was a wonderful voice for us. We have had some interesting discussion around our house as the elections are upon us, and I will have to introduce my sons to RR. Oh, that's right, they read his bio last year!

Here are a few words from Mr. Reagan:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting. "

"I couldn't help but say to Mr. Gorbachev just think how easy his task and mine might be in these meetings that we held if suddenly there was a threat to this world from another planet. We'd find out once and for all that we really are all human beings here on this earth together."

"I've never been able to understand why a Republican contributor is a 'fat cat' and a Democratic contributor of the same amount of money is a 'public-spirited philanthropist'."

"Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born. "

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table. "

"Entrepreneurs and their small enterprises are responsible for almost all the economic growth in the United States."

(If you or your spouse has a job, thank an entreprenuer!)



For more by President Reagan, go here

2 comments:

Willa said...

I love those quotes. Some of them are even a bit Chestertonian. Thanks Cindy!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Me, too. Cindy. (what Willa said)

I particulary like the one about abortion and its advocates - if you can "like" a quote about abortion.

Welcome to Our Blog!

Welcome to Our Blog!
Blessings to you and yours

Most of the Kelly Family (dh holding camera)

About Us

My photo
Texas, United States
We are all on a journey, and this blog's reason for existence is to be a place to put mine. From humble suburbian begnnings just north of Dallas to a Catholic unschooler with a passion for faith, lifelong learning, my family and dogs, here I stand before you. Welcome to my world!
Authenticity. That would have to be my theme at present. To enjoy my family, be true to ourselves and our faith and be authentic and enthusiastic about life!
"True happiness lies in giving ourselves in love to our brothers and sisters. "

~ Pope John Paul II

I love Dog Day Afternoons...
"What children need is not new and better curricula but access to more and more of the real world; plenty of time and space to think over their experiences, and to use fantasy and play to make meaning out of them; and advice, road maps, guidebooks, to make it easier for them to get where they want to go (not where we think they ought to go), and to find out what they want to find out." [from Teach Your Own by John Holt.]

Labels

Labels